This White Hills Historic Cemetery was also known as the Junction Cemetery. In 1854 it was officially opened, however it had been used as a Cemetery well before this date.
Once gold was discovered at the seven White Hills, the area was inundated with optimistic diggers. Locals within the White Hills area, including the Irish from Back Creek, the Cornish from Long Gully and the Chinese from the Chinese settlement then claimed the site as a Cemetery to bury their dead. The initial burials took place without registration, therefore the first person buried at the White Hills Cemetery is not known. After that time there was a Sextons hut at the entrance where funerals would stop and after the payment of sixpence a grave marker was issued and the funeral proceeded to the grave site.