These cemeteries are within 10 kms of each other and are centred around the rural Victorian town of Tarnagulla.
Waanyarra: The land surrounding Waanyarra (previously known as Jones Creek) paints a rugged landscape with thousands of mounds, holes and gullies; the result of Alluvial mining, the mainstay of diggers during the 1850's and 60's. Alluvial gold originates from rock breaking away from auriferous quartz reefs and being washed down into streams. The larger nuggets sink to the bottom, whereas the finer particles can be transported considerable distances, until they collect in crevices. All of the goldfields started with alluvial mining, then moved into sinking shallow shafts upon reefs. Most diggers worked in small groups of 3 or 4 men on a shaft of between 1-6 metres in depth. Surveyor Phillip Chauncy surveyed the district between Tarnagulla and Dunolly in 1861 and officially named the area Waanyarra. This was an Aboriginal name with a meaning like 'Littler Water' or 'Running Water".
Tarnagulla lies in the once fabulously rich Bendigo goldfield. Southwest is Dunolly, with Maryborough to the south, Castlemaine and Chewton lies to the southeast. Tarnagulla truly is at the heart of the "Golden Triangle". Formerly known as Sandy Creek (1852-1858), Tarnagulla is a small rural town situated in central Victoria. It is a town founded on the excitement and hope of the Victorian Gold Rush and quickly developed into a thriving community. Over the years the gold became less plentiful and many turned to farming and other pursuits. With a colourful history, Tarnagulla today is a sleepy town with a population of only a few hundred.
Text and graphics.