This project has produced a complete cemetery burial list with hyperlinks to monumental headstone photographs.
There are 130 monumental section areas in the cemetery, with 41,100 photos and notes with more details of some individuals for hard to read headstones, some listings of multiple burials in bigger graves and some information like occupation and last place of living. Bendigo Cemetery has 55,000 interments and this project incorporates a full burial list. The Lawn Cemetery sections were not photographed as part of this project but is included in the full burial list.
The cemetery officially opened for burials in February 1858 and was gazetted in 1875. The Bendigo Cemetery is managed by the Bendigo Cemeteries Trust. The Trust was formed in June 1988 and amalgamates the former council cemeteries Bendigo, Eaglehawk, Kangaroo Flat, White Hills and Axedale.
Originally the present Bendigo Cemetery was known as Back Creek Cemetery. Later Back Creek Cemetery was called the Sandhurst Public Cemetery. In 1892 the City of Sandhurst reverted back to being known as Bendigo and the cemetery duly changed its name to Bendigo Public Cemetery. Bendigo's Cemeteries are open museums telling the story of the regions development.
Of the five cemeteries in the Municipality of Bendigo, the Bendigo Cemetery is the largest.
The first registered burial was that of Ellen Mowbray Murphy on February 1st 1858 age 3½ years. Her headstone is now showing wear and a photography project like this aims to at least keep a digital record of these old sandstone headstones.