The Wallaby Club was founded in 1894 and held its first official walk on 23 June 1894. The Club motto À Votre Santé [to your health] neatly captures the spirit of the Club and its objectives of walking, talking, good companionship and entertaining engagement. Membership is strictly limited and is by invitation only. In 1894, ‘it occurred to a Melbourne physician, Dr Henry, that there was room for a club embodying the Johnsonian definition, “an assembly of good fellows, meeting under certain conditions”, and including some special qualifications that would form a bond of sympathy between members. Professional men, including artists, teachers, musicians, writers, and thinking men of all kinds, men who had done something for their calling or for their community, were to be sought. One thing in addition was essential. Members must be fond of walking, not in the athletic sense – athleticism was rather anathema to the founder and projectors of the Club – but as a means of reasonable outdoor enjoyment that would be conducive to health, conversation and good companionship.